Thursday, January 9, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Road Trip Pt. 1

For my first Throwback Thursday post, I wanted to share part of my road trip I went on in August of 2013.  It was a life-changing solo trip up to Oregon and Washington for two weeks.  Yes, I went by myself!  It seems crazy but it actually was very inspiring and relaxing.  I wanted to just be alone in nature and see everything for myself.  Many of my family and friends were worried about me going solo but I knew it was what I needed.  I haven't taken a real vacation since I was about 16 and I was certain I needed a break from life.  I have always thought Oregon and Washington were beautiful and it was inevitable that one day I would want to see it for myself.  It wasn't until one day of aimlessly going through the Travel section on Pinterest that I knew that the time was now.  A month later I set off on my journey.  I didn't plan my trip at all, I just went where the wind blew.  I didn't book any hotels in advance, I would just find a place and stay there for the night.  It wasn't scary at all, it actually was very exciting not knowing where you were going to sleep that night. It was also liberating going from place to place instead of just sticking around one place for an allotted amount of days.  It was very satisfying living day by day instead of having everything controlled and planned out.  So here is the first half of my trip in Oregon.  


My first hike in Oregon was Toketee Falls.  It was a rather short hike, but it was spectacular. 


The view you see right before the waterfall. 

Toketee Falls.  

As I was heading to the hotel I wanted to stay at outside of Portland, Siri decided to take me on a random gravel road up the side of a mountain.  I think Siri was out to get me on this trip.

The view from the top of the random road.

The next day I woke up early to drive around a rainy Downtown Portland and check out this famous used bookstore.  
It was like heaven!  It was hard to narrow down what I wanted but I settled on two books.  
1. Adulting How to Become a Grown-Up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown
2. Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel 
I also bought a few souvenirs since there weren't that many shops that sold Portland items.  It was so fun walking around Downtown Portland in the rain and enjoying everything it has to offer.  

In the afternoon I decided to go to the Oregon Coast for a couple hours before it got dark.  

I only spent about an hour at the coast since it took me 3 hours to get there!  But it was definitely worth the drive.  Being from Southern California, our beaches are very flat and boring.  This beach was amazing.  

The next day I woke up ready to go on a 6 mile hike.  I was hoping to see some wildlife, but unfortunately no one came out to say hi.  I did however hike to 3 different waterfalls on the same trail.  All these waterfalls were from the same river, you hiked to the top and work your way down to see each waterfall.  This hiking trail is off the Columbia River Highway and it is one of many hiking trails.  Off this highway there are about a dozen different waterfalls which makes it easy to see them all in one day. 

This water was really amazing because the trail took you underneath the waterfall.  




This last waterfall was at the bottom of all these waterfalls.  

My last day in Oregon I spent just driving around seeing the sights and I came across this really cool meadow.  

There is a little trail that takes you through the woods to this little lake. 



On my way back to my hotel I decided to take a detour to see Mt. Hood.  Unfortunately it was a cloudy day and it was hidden behind some clouds. 

This was the last day of my time in Oregon and it was an amazing experience.  All the people I encountered were so nice and friendly.  I never felt like I made a mistake traveling alone and I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 days in Oregon.  Next Throwback Thursday I will show you guys the other half of my road trip in Washington.  
Thanks for reading!

















No comments:

Post a Comment